Saturday, February 10, 2007

not finished bit at least it's not pink


We've had a very mild, warm winter in NJ until recently. Now it's so cold that those warm day seem years away. As my brother continues to work on my bathroom I am finding out that the pinkness of it was the least of my troubles. Whoever installed it had a unique sense of plumbing. The overflow pipe just dumped onto the flooring under the tub, there was NO insulation in the bathroom and it was cold enough that the pipes were frozen. Well I could have told him that everything in that bathroom was frozen! AND assorted other odds and ends were discovered. I'm very lucky that my brother is doing this for me at a slow time for his business. I would be flipping if I was paying full price for all this work. Do now I own lots of new plumbing and none of it is pink and there are signs of progress ---a new white tub and insulation! See the pink shelves in the closet? It was covered with shelving paper while I've been in the house but at one time it was the color of the ENTIRE bathroom. What a treat that must have been.
I have not gotten much knitting done this week, just working on that never ending black sock. I've been baking for my brother and his workers every night so here is my favorite scone recipe.

Cream Scones

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
a good shake of salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 to 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
extra sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Place flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a food processor. Whirl a few times. Gradually pour in 1 cup of heavy cream while the machine is on. Add another 1/4 cup if needed to have a ball of dough form. Turn of processor as soon as a dough ball is formed.

Lightly flour a counter or board and gently flatten the ball into a disk . You can make one disk of full size scones or two for smaller ones. Cut each disk into eight pie shaped wedges. If you want soft edges bake keeping the pieces together. If you want the edges crispy separate them on the ungreased baking sheet.

I brush the scones with some of the reserved cream and sprinkle lightly with sugar and cinnamon. Bake around 15 minutes until barely brown. Check the bottoms and don't over bake.

No comments: